Friday, March 26, 2021

Excerpt Tour: She's the One Who Cares Too Much

 

She's the One Who Cares Too Much 

(Book Two of the War Stories of the Seven 

Troublesome Sisters) 

by S. R. Cronin

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

GENRE: Historical Fantasy 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

BLURB:

Coral, the second of seven sisters, has been hiding her affair with the perfect man until her older 

sister can get her life together. But the perfect man is getting impatient and now she’s gotten 

pregnant. Coral decides it’s time to consider her own happiness.

But what does she want? The perfect husband turns out to be less than ideal. She adores the 

small children she teaches but the idea of being a mother fills her with joy. Meanwhile, her 

homeland is gripped by fear of a Mongol invasion and she can’t stop crying about everything 

now that she’s with child.

Then a friend suggests the ever-caring Coral possesses a power well beyond what she or 

anyone else imagines. Does she? And why is the idea so appealing?

When Coral’s big sister loses faith in the army and decides to craft a way to use magic to save 

Ilari from the Mongols, she decides Coral’s formidable talent is what the realm needs. Can Coral 

raise a baby, placate an absent military husband who thinks he’s stopping the invasion, and 

help her sister save her homeland?

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Exclusive Excerpt:

Two of the children tried to climb onto my lap as I set on the bench after I arrived. Other 

teachers had told me not to be so affectionate with them, but I thought my little kindnesses did 

more good than harm. They always minded me, despite my softness to them.

Sitting on the bench I realized how much I didn’t want to quit my job. What a shame I had to 

choose between teaching, a thing I loved, and having a husband. Yet, everyone expected a new 

wife to move to her husband’s nichna and care for him. Particularly a pregnant wife. 

As Chessa, one of my favorites, snuggled in next to my hip, something else sunk in. If I wanted, 

I could have a daughter like her. Soon. I was surprised by how happy the idea made me.

The girl took my fingers in her two little hands and played with them as she spoke. 

“Miss Coral,” she said. “I want to be just like you when I grow up.”

I sat with Chessa warm against my side, her words warming me on the inside as well. I knew 

plenty of women who’d stopped a pregnancy they’d discovered this early, and I could easily do 

the same. The Velka had their ways. But as I put my hands over my belly, cradling what had 

begun, I knew I wanted the baby that could grow inside me. I wanted to be a mother. I wanted to 

be one now.

It would be easier if I married Davor. He’d be a fine father and provider. 

So, that settled it. Tonight, I’d tell my parents everything. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 


Author Bio:

Sherrie Cronin is the author of a collection of six speculative fiction novels known as 46. 

Ascending and is now in the process of publishing a historical fantasy series called The War 

Stories of the Seven Troublesome Sisters. A quick look at the synopses of her books makes it 

obvious she is fascinated by people achieving the astonishing by developing abilities they barely 

knew they had.

She’s made a lot of stops along the way to writing these novels. She’s lived in seven cities, 

visited forty-six countries, and worked as a waitress, technical writer, and geophysicist. Now she 

answers a hot-line. Along the way, she’s lost several cats but acquired a husband who still loves 

her and three kids who’ve grown up just fine, both despite how odd she is. 

All her life she has wanted to either tell these kinds of stories or be Chief Science Officer on the 

Starship Enterprise. She now liv writes in the mountains of Western North Carolina, 

where she admits to occasionally checking her phone for a message from Captain Picard, just in case. 

Author Blog.       

Giveaway


4 comments: